At Big Mouth Company we believe your health is what you make of it. Everything you do and think either adds to the vitality, energy and spirit you possess or takes away from it.
When it comes to your body, there is no other substance more important than water. If you drink lots of water on a regular basis, you know you’re doing something very beneficial for your health, but have you heard about alkaline water?
Alkaline water is less acidic than tap water. “Alkaline” refers to water’s pH level, the number that measures how acid or alkaline something is on a scale of 0 to 14. Something that has a pH of 1, for example, would be extremely acidic, while something with a pH of 13 is considered to be very alkaline.
The thinking behind alkaline water and optimum health is that maintaining a bodily pH level of 7.4 is key. As so many foods in the modern diet are considered acidic, drinking water with a higher pH than normal is believed help your body stay alkaline and disease-free, improving all aspects of health.
If you’ve ever had an aquarium, you probably know that the water the fish swim in must be at the correct pH for them to survive. Plants also flourish when soil is at the correct pH level, so it only makes sense that humans thrive better when their pH is at an optimal level, right?
As alkaline water has a higher pH level than your regular drinking water, some experts believe it helps to neutralize the acid in your body, which offers numerous benefits – in fact, some go as far as saying that if you change the type of water, you drink, you might just change your life.
7 Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
1. Boost your immune system. As alkaline water is loaded with antioxidants, drinking it can help boost your immune system so that you’ll be less likely to catch the flu or a cold, and even lessen the odds of developing more serious conditions like cancer, helping your body to fight off disease and heal itself. The water can neutralize damaging free radicals and convert them into oxygen to be used for tissue oxygenation and energy production.
2. Promote better digestion. Acidity interferes with the normal digestive process. When an overproduction of stomach acids results from spicy foods, alcohol, overeating, stress and other factors, the acids often go back into the esophagus, resulting in acid reflux which causes heartburn. Frequent episodes can even permanently damage the walls of the esophagus, or worse, trigger cancers. Acidity is often accompanied by other problems like bloating, nausea, indigestion or vomiting. By including alkalizing water in your diet, along with more alkalizing foods, it can help neutralize the effects of acid, supporting better digestion.
3. Improve your energy levels. Drinking lots of water is well-known to improve energy levels, as a dehydrated body is a fatigued body. Alkaline water can take that a step further, as it helps deliver nutrients to the body more efficiently than traditional tap water, providing you with more energy throughout the day.
4. Slows the aging process. As alkaline water is negatively charged and an “antioxidant,” it can battle free radicals. That not only helps prevent disease; but it can also slow the aging process, including signs like sagging skin and wrinkles, by reducing cellular and DNA damage caused by free radicals. Getting older by itself doesn’t cause aging – aging is the result of damage to body tissues.
5. Give you a more beautiful complexion. Drinking alkaline water not only helps keep the skin hydrated like regular water, but because it also can fight those aging free radicals, it more effectively improves skin health, keeping your appearance younger. No matter what your age, drinking alkaline water is a good way to enjoy a more beautiful, glowing complexion.
6. Lower your risk of osteoporosis. As most people’s diets are too acidic, that can lead to a loss of bone mineral density, and possibly osteoporosis. The consequences of osteoporosis can affect someone for life. If it isn’t prevented in the early stages or is left untreated, it can progress without one knowing, until a bone breaks. Although the hips, wrists and spine are the most common places for an osteoporosis-related bone fracture, almost any bone can be susceptible.
7. Support weight loss. One of the reasons for being overweight or obese is that toxins have accumulated in the body, and are stored away in fat tissue. Excessive acidity in the body’s tissues can cause serious problems. When there is too much acid, that acid can’t be easily processed and excreted, so the body holds onto fat as an adaptive mechanism, resulting in weight gain. Reducing acidity in the body can, therefore, help prevent the storage of fat, which is why those who drink alkaline water, and follow a more alkalizing diet in general, often experience noticeable weight loss.
You can make your own alkaline water by adding easy to find ingredients, you can buy it or use a special system to create it. see Chart below as a guide with a PH strip or special drops. Ideal balance between 8 and 9.